10/2/13

biking the river park

 

DSC_6249

Three weeks and two days, that’s how long we have been home from our epic trip and we are still adjusting to the luxuries of hot water, electricity and space….

The past 3 weeks have not been much fun due to a virus that invaded my sinuses and lasted over two weeks.  Then allergies started making me ill.  I’m taking allergy medicine for the first time in my entire life!  Is this what I get for leaving the area for three months? 

Chattanooga is situated in a bowl with mountains and ridges on all sides….this year we have the honor of being the 9th worse city for fall allergies.  Since I have lived here most of my life, never experiencing allergies, figured there was some type of natural immunity inhabiting my body.  Alas, no more!

On the positive side, the over the counter meds are working and wellness is returning.

Still struggling a bit in putting our lives back to order.  Exercising has always been a high priority for both of us, but our trip was a disaster for elevating our heart rates.  (Mine did get elevated a few times when I was not driving and someone else was!)  We did a little hiking, here and there, but overall we are returning home with much poorer physical conditioning than when we left.  This was our first trip, ever, to leave the bikes at home.  And it will be our last!

So now that I’m feeling better, we are walking, hiking and riding our bikes.  Last week I grabbed my Nikon as we were heading out to the Tennessee River Park.  The park, opening in 1989, is 10 miles, running along the Tennessee River from the Chickamauga Dam to downtown Chattanooga.

After a few miles I am finding the SLR too cumbersome, dangling on my shoulder while bike riding and ditched it back in the van.  Will need to depend on the cell phone for any additional photography.

DSC_6233

The sidewalk is wide, we always pass people who are walking, saying “on your left” as we come upon them.  This is THE correct protocol, or sounding a bell to let them know a biker approaches.  The walker should bear to the right giving the biker space to pass.  (It is not pretty when the walker goes left into the bike path!)

DSC_6227

DSC_6228

This is the bridge over the South Chickamauga Creek…the TN River can be seen below at the very end of the creek.

DSC_6230

DSC_6232

Another view of the bridge.  Now imagine flood waters more than halfway up the exposed tree trunk in the center.  This is what the park endured last July while we were traveling in AK.

DSC_6234

Another picturesque tree with a tell tale water mark.

DSC_6246

DSC_6245

Great blue heron fishing on the Chickamauga Creek.

DSC_6247

Civil War history found at this site…. the Northern army crossed the river here, heading south toward Chickamauga Battlefield.

2013-09-26 10.14.21

Wildlife crossing our path!2013-09-26 10.20.02

Our ride is perfect until we leave the pavement and hit the boardwalk.  Unfortunately that is exactly what we did…hit the boardwalk!!!   It is wet and slick from previous rains.  I started going down the instant my rear wheel left the pavement.  Hubby, five feet behind me, could only watch me fall as his bike went out from under him.  After going down, I am sliding five feet or so on my left hip and shoulder before coming to a halt.

Bystanders ran to our aid, one identifying herself as a nurse.  I am hurting, bad, but so worried about David and his artificial hip. But he has landed on the other hip and is OK.  My shoulder is hurting and I am wondering if a trip to the ER is necessary but we ride back to the car.  And, after a day of icing my shoulder and two days of pain meds, the body is ready to go again.

2013-09-26 10.41.43 

This smiling face is NOT how I was feeling at the moment!  Notice the blue sign!

We were very lucky….will not be riding on wet paths again.  Too old to fall that hard!

For my readers who want to hear about the Casita…..two weeks from today it will be on the road again!  Heading to the Cherokee, NC rally!

12 comments:

  1. Lynne -- I'd love to hear you comments / thoughts on how you managed the boring part of travel: keeping up with mail / packages, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! And I have not done a final trip update. Thanks for the comment!

    Good luck on selling your house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you're feeling better. That fall hurts just to read about. Maybe you need a tric. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not quite ready for a trike.....maybe when I'm 90! Just glad there was not a trip to the hospital.

      Glad to hear that you are on the road again! It was beautiful there where you were but it sure is a long time in one place! Stay safe!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you all took a wicked fall....glad you are ok. Beautiful area for walking/biking! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are blessed to live in a beautiful city.....it is one of the things that keeps me from going full time. Take care and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  5. What a fabulous area you Guys live in!!!....sorry about the spill...at least nothing is broken....and you're in good spirits.....looking forward to your final update on the Alaska trip...with photo's...of course...take care...Horst sends

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so many photos....and can't remember what's already been published! Going to try to make the trip into a book.
    Glad to get reminded to do the final post....my mind is flying to the next trip/ Stay safe and enjoy the cooling temperatures in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Beautiful pictures of the area. Glad you guys weren't hurt. That could have been disastrous for you. Told the friends hello from you and David. They said they were looking forward to seeing you in January.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We were extremely lucky....and will be more cautious in the future. Have a great time on your current trip and see you in TX!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so wanted to try that trail when we spent two weeks in Doll Mtn....guess next time. Have you tried a netti pot...Jerry swears by his for all of his sinus troubles. Still in IL...trying to make decisions! Excited for January ralley!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are psyched also....surely this shut down will be over by then....but congress does continue to amaze me!

    The Riverwalk is not going anywhere....it will be here when you are ready! Thanks for the neti pot info and hoping your loved one continues to improve!

    ReplyDelete